Godot newbie with a technical problem: Godot crashes after a few minutes of being open.

gui8312gui8312 Posts: 4Member
in 2D

Hello everyone!

I am currently trying to start a project on godot, but I cant really get any work done right now - Godot just crashes after a few minutes. This is guaranteed to happen it seems, and sometimes it even brings a BSOD with it.

For now was just trying to build the Pong game from the Godot Docs. That is basically all I did, after I installed Godot over Steam.

Dont know if this is the right place to post... but I really feel like Godot is a great fit for me, and I want to figure out what is causing this debilitating problem.

Anyway, some more info:

• Godot was already installed in my PC once in the past and everything used to run smoothly.
  • Running Godot on Win10 64 bit, with a Geforce1050Ti garphics card.
  • An overview of what I have already tried:
    • Uninstalled Godot,
    • removed all the Godot files I could find,
    • verified file integrity on Steam
    • tried downloading the non-steam version
    • updated graphics card
    • closed all other applications and ran godot
    • wrote down and googled BSOD error code: driver_power_state_failure
    • checked out console window while Godot crashes, no error messages there.

any help would be greatly appreciated,
all the best,
gui8312

Comments

• gui8312gui8312 Posts: 4Member

new information:

Seems to be caused by adding new assets to my project. If I add a png to the workspace folder it will freeze and crash after a while. the built in tutorial projects do not crash.

Have a Linux install on my laptop will try running it over there.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,172Admin
    edited May 9

Got afterburner(an incidentally RivaTuner Statistics Server, aka RTSS) installed? try adding godot as an exception.

Alternatively it seems more than likely to be a driver/hw issue, not very likely that godot is the actual root cause, more likely just a symptom.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,152Admin

@gui8312 said:
    Hello everyone!

I am currently trying to start a project on godot, but I cant really get any work done right now - Godot just crashes after a few minutes. This is guaranteed to happen it seems, and sometimes it even brings a BSOD with it.

Yikes! Hopefully there is a solution, because yeah, that sounds bad and is definitely not supposed to be happening.

Dont know if this is the right place to post... but I really feel like Godot is a great fit for me, and I want to figure out what is causing this debilitating problem.

Feel free to post here! The forums here are for anything Godot related.

One thing with the forums is that the Godot developers are not as active here. It might not be a bad idea to also post on the Godot QnA, Reddit, and/or Facebook, as I know the developers a tad more active there then on the forums.

Anyway, some more info:

• Godot was already installed in my PC once in the past and everything used to run smoothly.
    • Running Godot on Win10 64 bit, with a Geforce1050Ti garphics card.
    • An overview of what I have already tried:
      • Uninstalled Godot,
      • removed all the Godot files I could find,
      • verified file integrity on Steam
      • tried downloading the non-steam version
      • updated graphics card
      • closed all other applications and ran godot
      • wrote down and googled BSOD error code: driver_power_state_failure
      • checked out console window while Godot crashes, no error messages there.

Hmm, have you tried updating Windows? I don’t know if it will help, but from my experience sometimes updating Windows fixes strange problems that seem unrelated.

I did some research into “driver_power_state_failure” errors and it appears to be either one of two problems. Either a driver is not installed correctly, or a device falls asleep while in use.

This answer from Microsoft might help. It lists several potential solutions that could be worth looking into.

Does your computer crash/BSOD when using other programs or is it only Godot? Theoretically it should crash on other programs too, since the driver is either not setup or the device falls asleep, which shouldn’t be directly related to Godot. That said, Windows can be strange at times...

Seems to be caused by adding new assets to my project. If I add a png to the workspace folder it will freeze and crash after a while. the built in tutorial projects do not crash.

Interesting. Does Godot crash when you delete the .import folder from one of the tutorial projects?

If so, then it seems likely the issue is converting and importing assets. That would make sense, as it is likely Godot uses the GPU to convert assets into a format that is easier for the GPU to access and use.

If possible, I would look into trying the solutions from Microsoft and see if that helps, maybe update Windows too if the solutions don’t work. Outside of that, I’m not totally sure.

Hopefully this helps!

• Ace_DragonAce_Dragon Posts: 283Member

In addition to what Twisted wrote, BSoD bugs that no one else has can also be caused by a piece of hardware starting to fail (which is usually the GPU or the Power Supply).

In addition, Nvidia will occasionally put out a driver version that causes a lot of problems, you might try to roll-back to the previously installed version to test.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,172Admin

@Ace_Dragon said:
    In addition, Nvidia will occasionally put out a driver version that causes a lot of problems, you might try to roll-back to the previously installed version to test.

Might be say, an audio driver instead of the graphics just as well.

• gui8312gui8312 Posts: 4Member

thank you all for the support :) honestly, all this help after 1 day? These forums seem like a nice place to hang out :)

I have switched over to linux Godot for now, it works fine. But when I have pateinece I will look into this some more. I use linux for work mainly, so it would be better to have my godot hobby on win10...

one thing that I can add, I already had very similar problems with Godot a year ago - the first time I looked into Godot. Back then it also had a problem with adding assets, Godot would also crash. it worked fine for a while back then, and then this started happening. it even was a different PC I think... freaky right?

Anyway, again, thank you a lot for your help! Linux is my choice for now then...

Oh! Question: Linux Projects and Windows Projects - are they compatible? can I transfer files over?

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,152Admin

@gui8312 said:
    thank you all for the support :) honestly, all this help after 1 day? These forums seem like a nice place to hang out :)

We try to keep the forums a nice and friendly place, and I can say wholeheartedly that I am amazed by the great community we have here on the forums!

Please feel free to hang out if you want! The more the merrier :smile:

I have switched over to linux Godot for now, it works fine. But when I have pateinece I will look into this some more. I use linux for work mainly, so it would be better to have my godot hobby on win10...

one thing that I can add, I already had very similar problems with Godot a year ago - the first time I looked into Godot. Back then it also had a problem with adding assets, Godot would also crash. it worked fine for a while back then, and then this started happening. it even was a different PC I think... freaky right?

Hmm, that is rather strange. A year ago would have been roughly around when Godot 3.0 first came out, right?

Something that might be helpful to check is to see if Godot 2 projects would have the same issue or not. If they do, then at least that would show whatever is causing the issue isn’t something added with Godot 3.0. If it doesn’t have an issue, then it is likely one of the new additions in Godot 3.0 (render or audio, if I had to make a wild guess) is causing the issue.

Anyway, again, thank you a lot for your help! Linux is my choice for now then...

Oh! Question: Linux Projects and Windows Projects - are they compatible? can I transfer files over?

I’m glad you got it working on Linux at least! Hopefully whatever is causing it not to work on Windows can be fixed without too much issue.

As for Linux projects and Windows projects, last I knew they are compatible. I’ve used and developed Godot 3.0 projects on both Linux and Windows, and I didn’t encounter any issues moving the files from one OS to another.

The only minor issue I have encountered with transferring projects from Windows to Linux, and vice versa, is that on Windows files are not case sensitive by default, while on Linux they are. This sometimes causes problems on Windows if you change the case on a file on Linux.

But so long as you stay relatively consistent with how you name your files, it shouldn’t be a issue.