Help test the new forum theme while it's developed.

MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,598Admin
edited March 25 in Forum Chat
@TwistedTwigleg set up a testing server and it is open to testing and feedback, see next post for more info.

Comments

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,620Admin
    edited April 27

You can find the test forums right here!

The test forums are what will eventually replace these forums in the near future (exact date is still unknown).

Please let us know what you think! We'd love to hear any/all feedback! :)

Please read this topic before using the test forums!

The topic linked above explains all about what has changed, what is new, why the change is happening, and more.
    It also explains important things that need to be taken into account when using the test forums!

Edit:

We've officially moved! What was the test forums are now the official forums.

That said, we are still actively working on the forum themes and would love to hear any/all feedback you might have!

• Ace_DragonAce_Dragon Posts: 311Member

The new forum looks great, it should be much better than the current state of things.

Hopefully this all goes live under the godotdevelopers name sometime this Spring.

@Ace Dragon said:
    The new forum looks great, it should be much better than the current state of things.

Thanks @Ace Dragon!

Hopefully this all goes live under the godotdevelopers name sometime this Spring.

If everything goes to plan, then sometime this Spring is certainly possible.

That said, we do not know exactly when we'll migrate things over just yet. If everything continues going as it has been then it shouldn't, hopefully, be too much longer :smile:

• keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 233Member

Niiice !... and many thanks to having planned a dark theme :)

@keltwookie said:
    Niiice !... and many thanks to having planned a dark theme :)

Thanks @keltwookie, and my apologizes on the delay in responding!

I just pulled a bunch of changes @Megalomaniak and I have been working on in the past few weeks into the test forum, mainly a bunch of changes to the GodotLightly theme. (We're going to work on GodotDarkly once GodotLightly is further along)

If you have a chance, please take a look and let us know what you think of the changes! :smile:

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,598Admin

Indeed, feedback would be appreciated. No point doing the work in a vacuum.

It still looks good so far, logging in seems to work (even though it's probably not worth posting anything yet).

I hope to see the dark theme ready to go when the update launches. Though the light theme also looks good with the off-white background.

Well, it's worth posting some test messages, you can test out the new editor so you can let us know how you feel about it for an example.

@Ace Dragon said:
    It still looks good so far, logging in seems to work (even though it's probably not worth posting anything yet).

I hope to see the dark theme ready to go when the update launches. Though the light theme also looks good with the off-white background.

Don't worry, I plan to work on the GodotDarkly theme once GodotLightly is a little further along. I am not sure when the change in forums/host will happen, but I plan to work on the dark theme prior to the change if possible. Right now we're just focusing our efforts on one theme at a time.

Personally I like dark themes for my own personal use, so it is not a matter of if the theme will be updated but rather when the theme will be updated, simply because I want to use it myself :wink:

That said, anyone is welcome to contribute to the theme's GitHub repository if they want to help out!

@TwistedTwigleg said:

Personally I like dark themes for my own personal use, so it is not a matter of if the theme will be updated but rather when the theme will be updated, simply because I want to use it myself :wink:

Same.

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    That said, anyone is welcome to contribute to the theme's GitHub repository if they want to help out!

Absolutely!

edited March 31

It would seem the discord widget is now active on the test server!

edit: nevermind, I commented before @TwistedTwigleg had a chance to inform me it was set to testing state so admins could only see it. I've edited the settings so it's not in testing anymore. Now you all should see it.

@Megalomaniak said:
    It would seem the discord widget is now active on the test server!

edit: nevermind, I commented before @TwistedTwigleg had a chance to inform me it was set to testing state so admins could only see it. I've edited them so they aren't in testing anymore. Now you all should see them.

My bad, I should have mentioned they were in testing mode only earlier! Sorry about that.

• wombatstampedewombatstampede Posts: 135Member

I just did a test post. File attachments (tried with images) works OK. But the little image icon button also works. But "Add Images" does not work. On the Console shows some Cross-Origin Error:
    Translated it says something like:
    "Cross-Origin" request for reading from https://api.imgur.com/3/upload blocked.
    Reason CORS-Header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' is missing.

• NeoDNeoD Posts: 164Member

The test forum is very nice. I hope Reduz or Akien will advertize it and attract more godot users. And even replacing Q&A by the help section.

edited April 1

Note that feature requests and bug reports can be made on the github repository as well. This way we can properly track them in there.

@wombatstampede said:
    I just did a test post. File attachments (tried with images) works OK. But the little image icon button also works. But "Add Images" does not work. On the Console shows some Cross-Origin Error:
    Translated it says something like:
    "Cross-Origin" request for reading from https://api.imgur.com/3/upload blocked.
    Reason CORS-Header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' is missing.

I will see what I can do to fix it. Thanks for reporting the issue! :smile:

@NeoD said:
    The test forum is very nice. I hope Reduz or Akien will advertize it and attract more godot users. And even replacing Q&A by the help section.

Thanks! :smile:

I've just turned on a new feature in vanilla(on the test forum, obviously) called "Category Following", you can read more here:
    https://blog.vanillaforums.com/product-new-vanilla-feature-category-following

edited April 3

I just pulled all the latest changes in to the test forum. These changes are mostly for GodotLightly, but I think GodotLightly is getting close. I think it will not be too much longer before work on GodotDarkly starts in earnest.

Changes are as follows:

-| (GodotLightly) Emoji size has been increased

-| (GodotLightly) Popups, drop downs, tags, and the side panel have all been styled

-| (GodotLightly, GodotDarkly) The categories and tags side panels are now collapsible (collapsed by default)

-| (GodotLightly) More buttons have been styled

-| (GodotLightly, GodotDarkly) Mobile theme should be the same as desktop

-| (GodotLightly, GodotDarkly) Category links when looking at recent discussions is now styled with color coded links.
    This is a new plugin, and can be turned on/off on a per user basis. You can turn it off editing your profile, just uncheck Use Discussion Category Style Extended to turn it off.

(I may have missed a few things, but I think those are all the major changes)

Known issues:

-| (GodotLightly, GodotDarkly) The Discord embed is missing. This is because of how we have changed the sidebar. I'm looking into how we can add it back, and will update when possible. I think we just need to make so edits to reposition it. Fixed!

-| (GodotDarkly) Text showing the number of discussions for tags, categories, post count, comment count, views, and certain menu items are almost invisible. This will be fixed in a upcoming update!

-| (GodotDarkly) The bar containing the Post Comment box is white instead of a darker color. This will be fixed in a upcoming update!

Please let us know what you think! :smile:

• fooonfooon Posts: 2Member
    edited April 9

New theme is looking pretty good, I have a few suggestions though.
    Cannot see where the input boxes are in the login model box.

The width of the main forum is pretty small, I would float the nav to the very left side.

Search bar is gigantic, I would move it to the right side of the breadcrumb.

I'm guessing the homepage title and description are temporary, so removing those when the test forums is done will save a bunch of space.

This one is a personal thing I do in all the forums I run. Having the total post count and number of discussions isn't really needed and would save a bunch of space and make it so everything isn't smooshed together, would also save height.

Add some color to the header of each section.

Everything said and done.

edited April 9

@fooon said:

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll take a look at that. <edit> PR created </edit>

@fooon said:
    The width of the main forum is pretty small, I would float the nav to the very left side.

I suppose we could look into that, but perhaps that isn't the most pressing matter. We can always tweak things after we have migrated the live forum and tweak things further.

@fooon said:

Right, so the search bar is on it's own line since the theme is responsive in design, we don't use a separate specialized theme for mobile. This too can be looked at later perhaps but for now I think it works fine, so no point fixing what isn't really broken.

I'm guessing the homepage title and description are temporary, so removing those when the test forums is done will save a bunch of space.

Yes, that can be considered, on a previous prototype theme of mine I had removed the title from the categories page. There is one caveat though: On the discussion topic page that title element is what/where the topic name gets rendered.

Certainly achievable though.

@fooon said:
    This one is a personal thing I do in all the forums I run. Having the total post count and number of discussions isn't really needed and would save a bunch of space and make it so everything isn't smooshed together, would also save height.

Yes, this is something I've been thinking too, however I was thinking of incorporating the topic and post-count as smaller elements under another section there, with the 'discussions' & 'comments' removed from the top row and icons appended to the ends of actual numbers perhaps. Would have to experiment with that first. I can still see how some users might find that info somewhat useful.

You mean the headings(Godot Community, Godot Help etc.)? Could certainly experiment with that.

Thanks for the feedback.

@fooon said:

@Megalomaniak made a PR and I updated the theme.
    Now it should be fixed :smile:

Thanks for letting us know @fooon! (And thanks @Megalomaniak for the PR!)

I think we might be able to do something like this using a CSS media query. That way the site can take up more room on bigger screens, while still maintaining compatibility with smaller screens like mobile devices. Defiantly something to look into!

Though as @Megalomaniak said, this isn't very pressing so we might have to leave looking into it until after the forums are migrated.

I agree with Megalomaniak that we should probably tackle this later. That said, I think we can make the search bar a little less obtrusive by reducing the padding from it and the breadcrumb, and then we can look into it later.

I dunno. Personally I think keeping the title is a good idea since it shows which category you are on.

As for the description, I think removing it is a good idea. The category description is already listed when viewing categories anyway, so we're not really losing much, if anything, by removing the description.

So long as nobody has a problem with it, it sounds like a good idea to me! I think @Megalomaniak's idea sounds interesting.

We might want to look into this after the forums are migrated though. Defiantly something to consider.

>

This is probably doable. At any rate, we can certainly give it a try.

Many thanks for the feedback @fooon!

I do not know how many ideas we'll be able to test and implement since we're wanting to migrate sooner rather than later, but these are goods ideas and I appreciate the feedback!

• fooonfooon Posts: 2Member

Is the theme something I can contribute to? Is there a github page?

Yes, we have linked it a couple of times in here:
    https://github.com/TwistedTwigleg/vanilla-bootstrap

Regarding the width of the threads themselves, I have grown to appreciate a somewhat narrower format as my eyes do not have to constantly scroll from left to right on my 27 inch HD monitor (which makes threads harder to read).

For those with small monitors though, I completely get the desire to have the site take up more space. Could an option for width be done?

@Ace Dragon said:
    Regarding the width of the threads themselves, I have grown to appreciate a somewhat narrower format as my eyes do not have to constantly scroll from left to right on my 27 inch HD monitor (which makes threads harder to read).

For those with small monitors though, I completely get the desire to have the site take up more space. Could an option for width be done?

I might be able to make a plugin or something that makes it customizable or something.
    I'll look into it and see what I can do.

edited April 11

It is worth remembering that users can use the browser page zooming capability, but we might be able to experiment a little to try and find perhaps a better middle-ground where users should be more easily able to zoom in or out from according to their needs.

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 286Admin Godot Developer

Just make the website container take a maximum fixed width, and use the remaining space to center the container. Most CSS frameworks should handle this for you if you use their container class, including Bootstrap.

I have a 32" 1440p monitor and it looks fine to me here, but it becomes painful on websites that don't use such a container, making lines very long and difficult to read.

• NeoDNeoD Posts: 164Member

@Calinou said:
    Just make the website container take a maximum fixed width, and use the remaining space to center the container. Most CSS frameworks should handle this for you if you use their container class, including Bootstrap.

I have a 32" 1440p monitor and it looks fine to me here, but it becomes painful on websites that don't use such a container, making lines very long and difficult to read.

Like said in the humoristic bettermotherfuckingwebsite

@Calinou said:

it does, and we are already using a theme based on bootstrap, yes.

edited April 15

I changed a few relatively minor things recently:

-| I changed the URL from testforum.RandomMomentania to godotforums.org. Don't worry about adjusting links, it should auto reroute to godotforums.org automatically :smile: This should make it easier for transitioning hosts later down the line. Everything should be exactly the same as it is on the test forums with the old URL.

-| I changed the post editor back to the Advance editor with Markdown, like what we have here on these forums, so the Imgur plugin would work again. If we can get the Imgur plugin working with the new Rich editor, then we might enable it again in the future. Also, the Imgur plugin has been re-enabled (and has a few minor issues I plan to try and fix soon)

-| I rewrote the announcement post in Markdown and changed a few things. Changes include new pictures of the theme, fixing some spelling issues, and rewriting a couple sections for better clarity.

I also updated the theme and plugins to the latest versions that me and Megalomaniak have been working on.
    Changes are as follows:

-| (Godot Lightly and Godot Darkly) The side panel should be visible on almost all pages. Previously you could not change your profile picture, view your friendships, or view your Yaga badges. This should all be fixed now!

-| (Godot Lightly) Several more panel elements have been given the cardification process and have been stylized

-| (Godot Darkly) Many changes from Godot Lightly have been ported to Godot Darkly. This includes button styling, cardification on many elements, and other changes present in GodotLightly. It still needs work, but Godot Darkly should be much more usable now.

-| (Godot Lightly) Answered topics now have different styling and coloring. Now instead of being a solid color, it is a nice yellow gradient on the post that has been marked an answer. Tag colors have been changed accordingly.

-| (Godot Lightly and Godot Darkly) The Discord widget embed has been changed into a plugin that can be enabled and disabled on a per user basis. This is so users who do not want to see the widget do not have to wait the extra 1-3 seconds it takes to load the widget.

-| (*Godot Lightly** and Godot Darkly) Other small changes here and there.

Please let us know what you think! :smile:

As far as the page width stuff goes, I think it is best to leave it as it is for right now, and maybe once the migration process is over see about finding a solution that works for everyone.

Edit: Realized how I wrote the beginning of this post could be misinterpreted as being perhaps a tad rude, which was not my intention... Fixed it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file