VideoPlayer lagging so much

samcom2asamcom2a Posts: 5Member
edited February 11 in 2D

This post suffered total edit because I cannot delete the previous post that I'd solved the problem.

I'm trying to play videos on my game, but it's lagging so much.

My computer:
* Godot version: v3.1.beta3.official
* CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz
* GPU: (some onboard "Intel HD Graphics" from life)
* RAM: 4 GB DDR3

Original video (MP4):
* Size: 40,7 MB
* Res: 1920x1080
* FPS: 59.81 FPS

OGV video:
* Size: 36,7 MB
* FPS: 59.94 FPS

WEBM video:
* Size: 22,4 MB
* FPS: 59.94 FPS

It's Godot problem? It's my computer problem? How can I load high quality videos without lag so much?
Thanks for attention!

Best Answer

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 256
    edited June 8 Accepted Answer

As Godot uses the libtheora and libvpx libraries directly (instead of something like FFmpeg due to licensing), it can't use the GPU to decode videos. Therefore, it's going to decode videos on the CPU, which is slow unless you have a fast CPU (and the i3-3217U is quite slow).

Answers

• LarponLarpon Posts: 2Member

the previous post that I'd solved the problem

So the problem is solved?

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 256Admin Godot Developer
    edited June 8 Accepted Answer

As Godot uses the libtheora and libvpx libraries directly (instead of something like FFmpeg due to licensing), it can't use the GPU to decode videos. Therefore, it's going to decode videos on the CPU, which is slow unless you have a fast CPU (and the i3-3217U is quite slow).

• samcom2asamcom2a Posts: 5Member

@Calinou said:

Make sense! Thank you!