The Untamed Wild - dark fantasy 2D ARPG

ChimaereJadeChimaereJade Posts: 43Member
edited March 28 in Projects

Hey there,
it feels like most action about godot happens on the discord-server but I would love to start a thread about my gameproject here! I'm still new to godot but learning a lot throught different tutorial series und udemy.

But let me speak about the project:
It started as an idea years ago where I created an world which combines the scenario of mankind not being on top of the food chain and dark primal rituals beeing done by some fanatical societies. The world is full of dangers, seen and unseen. Most people live in strongholds, which act like city states and communication from city to city is only possible with guarded caravans.
The player will be an mercenary which protects merchants, diplomats and settlers - all hoping for profit and shelter in other cities. You will dive into an world where safety is something most people don't know. If not beasts are your problem, hunger or enviromental dangers will be.

The graphics you can see here are a little teaser of the mood the game will have.

-

Things you can expect from this project:

• a dark and grim world - full of choices and consequences
  • a dynamic battlesystem which will require tactics and reflexes
  • exclusive PixelArt, combined with some nice technical effects
  • passion for detail and atmosphere

-
Gameplay:

Travel the world and learn as much as possible to help yourself. Protect yourself in dynamic battles and barter with merchants, explore lost places or make agreements with other humans to survive from day to day.

-
Sidenotes:
I will use this thread to keep people up to date but atm I have to work on this in my spare time. When i have an prototype I will try to start as part-time-developer and see where I will get. :)

Follow me on discord if you wanna get ALL updates! (the link should work again)
https://discordapp.com/invite/zQDqQCA

Tags :

Comments

• HippoHippo Posts: 85Member

Awesome to see this project coming along. ^^ Really love the graphics with the campfire, looking forward to future updates. =)

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,027Admin

Love the artwork, best wishes and i hope to see this project completed. :)

• ChimaereJadeChimaereJade Posts: 43Member

Thanks you two! I will give my best to create an prototype as first milestone. It will take some time but at least I'm not complete new in gamedesign. I hope for much feedback and will show more details and WIP over time. :)

• xananaxxananax Posts: 4Member

This is excellent, I hope you continue! Be following

• lagartolagarto Posts: 1Member

What program are you using to create the graphics?

edited October 2018

@xananax
    It will take a while from progress to progress because at the moment I can work ~10h per week on it, but I have my vision of this world anderen want bring it to life. :)

@lagarto
    Hey there, I use aseprite for the graphics. It's a bit of try an error offsetting everything correct in Godot but it works. :)

edited April 2019

Hey there - are you doing well? It's time for an little update!
    The end of the year comes closer and closer. My goal until this was to create an interior-tileset and doing some basics in gameplay. Today I want to show you an ingame-scene which shows how the tileset makes progress. :D

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,127Admin

Looks great!

• ugly_catugly_cat Posts: 4Member
    edited December 2018

Love the art style and UI elements. I'm also making an isometric tile based game, but I'm planning on using blender for all the assets. Out of curiosity what does your asset work-flow look like?

edited April 2019

@TwistedTwigleg
    Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm using this as a start but will imporve the visuals over time when my abilities are improving too. :)

@ugly_cat
    Thanks to you too! Right now I'm working on the 2D-part of godot, so I'm using Aseprite with an grid-layer and create the graphics there.
    After this I load the complete tileset into godot and use it as texture for all the sprites while enableling the region-section and select each part with pixel-snap. After that I save the whole scene and export it as an tileset itself.
    The only two downsides are, that I need to use some offset-settings for most sprites and I need to handle the depthsorting for bigger sprites like the bed because the pre-build y-sorting just works for top-down and sidescroll but not the isometric-perspective.
    Hope it helps! :)

UPDATE:
    Following you can the the progress on the tileset and the first final character for the game. This will define the style of the game a lot. What do you think? :)

• EbenezerEbenezer Posts: 79Member

Nice game. Keep it up. In years time, you will be a successful game developer.

edited April 2019

@Ebenezer
    Thanks! I don't have much time because of my fulltime-job but I hope to shift this over time and get more productive with this project. :)

Here is an little update about some graphics I did the last weekend. The artstyle should get more consistent and detailed from now! The shadows are kinda placeholders but because of tweaking possibilites I may add an option in the future to deactivate the dynamic lighting and just use those static shadows.

Edit:
    The next Halloween may need some time nevertheless it's time for an bone-update for "TheUntamedWild"!

Note:
    The starting post has been updated with an actual gif from the project - showing some of the exteriortiles in action - and an more detailed description of the game itself. :)

It's been a long time since the last update - time to change this!
    The last weeks I worked on this tavern - an important place for the people in the settlement.

Beside I'm still working on the walk-animations for the finished basic-movement and started testing some guitarparts for the OST too. I will show you more in the next months!

A lot of new tileset-graphics frequently get created for the weekly "Pixel-Guess-Friday" on the discord too. So there is a lot of work going on - mostly behind the scenes.

Future plans are about a little demoversion in the first quarter of 2020. It won't contain a lot of (later) gameplay but will give you a "feeling" about the atmosphere, characters and little details. There will be a few battles (as example) but not that much (mostly because I need to create all the animations first).

I love it, the art style is bringing me right back to my childhood, yet is so much more complex at the same time.

As promised - here comes the inn-interior update! And this is the first time you can get a better feeling for the actual game (atmosphere), because I present you this update as a video! The movement animations are still very work-in-progress and I need to fix the last frames of the feet - but after some weeks of preperation and different parts to work on I don't wanna hide any longer where the game is at the moment.

The next update will be more about the concept and the gameplay you will experience. I hope to make more visible progress beside the regular "Pixel-Guess-Friday" for the next weeks. Stay tuned! :D

This looks awesome, I'm loving the atmosphere! Looking forward to seeing some gameplay. =)

Hey there,
    just wanted to let you know that I'm still working on this project, but my dayjob didn't let much time left since novembre. I hope this will change in the next weeks and I can show you more progress. At the moment, character-animations and outdoor assets are the big construction sites.
    If you are interested - the most updates/insights are given on the discord-server for this project. :)

I wish you much fun with godot - have a good time!

• fire7sidefire7side Posts: 54Member

Looking good. Looks like a huge project.

Thats true - it's something I plan to work on for at least 5 years. I know this sounds kinda mad but I'm not complete new in gamedev and want to focus on this project as a personal milestone. So it may take much time (maybe even more if my dayjob stays as atm) but I will not let it fall over. :)

edited March 21

Hey there,
    time for a little update!

As said in a previous message I had to cut down the development-time since novembre a lot. Now I wanna show you what happened in between! It seems like I will have more time/energy from now because we found some kind of solution on my dayjob.

Mentioning the animations before, today I wanna show you here what you can reckon on. My target is to find a sweet spot between realistic behaviour and some kind of juiciness.

(Those are just templates but I censored them to be on a safe side.)

Beside that I'm still learning about technical improvements on godot (can't wait for 4.0!), doing some more steps with linux and research for technical solutions of future features.
    Later I plan to integrate a dynamic lightsystem (I just need to adjust the ankle of the shadows to fit my isometric perspective much better on walls) and I wanna build dynamic grass/bushes. Those are some examples of stuff I'm researching beside.
    So I can say that I have my priorities but still try to look around for the best possible player experience in the end!

Another little update is that I won the 3. place on a german "picture of the year" while I didn't even noticed because of the dayjob. It's a big motivation boost to constantly improve he artside of "The Untamed Wild"!

So what will happen next?
    I will still try to development mostly silent. This seems to be the best way of making progress atm because it feels like I have to recover from this unwanted long break on the project.
    Things like social medias will be on hold to, but if you wanna stay informed as much as possible or wanna ask me something, feel free to join the official discord-server of "The Untamed Wild"!
    If you just wanna hold an eye on the little steps you are free to view into the trello-board.
    But beware - it's written in my native language german and in first line is a help of organization for myself. I think it's some kind of compensation when I don't write that often updates on forums or twitter.

See you next time!

@ChimaereJade said:

(Those are just templates but I censored them to be on a safe side.)

Appreciated. There are rules on this, the censor helps, but I'll add a spoiler tag in there on top of it.

A little mini-update:
    The last 3 day's I worked on-off on a new logo for the project. It's allready in the first post, so feel free to check it out and let me know what you think! :)

• jbrooks79jbrooks79 Posts: 1,308Premoderated

This is a master-piece, instant classic . . .

The leaves and the Untamed text are too close in value(lightness) thus lacking contrast, kind of makes it hard to see/read it, at least at a glance.

I love the logo! It's a really cool and unique concept. ^^

Hey there!
    @Megalomaniak
    Thanks for the feedback! I have changed the colors on step higher on the pallet. I'm not sure if it still fits the mood but readability is an important factor for a logo.

@Hippo
    Thank you too, mate! I hope to keep this standard for future stuff! :D

Yep, that looks a lot better to me! And I think it is still very much on theme. :)

• GogetaXGogetaX Posts: 56Member

the game looks very stylish. good work

Thanks, there's still a ton to do! :)