how can i streaming a map?

tomarlo4tomarlo4 Posts: 6Member

https://i.imgur.com/IObbgfL.jpg

how can i do player's 3D area or map/texture load by streaming like this? like a distance of field rendering
to save ram and vram memory in big maps?

thx

Best Answers

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 3,540
    Accepted Answer

@tomarlo4 said:
    idk if im explaining the right way, my english isnt perfect lol'

I read over what you wrote, and now I get what you are saying. You want something like lazy loading, right?

I do not think it's possible in Godot by default. In theory you could make a GDNative plugin that utilizes lazy loading, but I have no idea how hard it would be or if it is even possible at all. Lazy loading would be cool though!

• tomarlo4tomarlo4 Posts: 6
    Accepted Answer

humm... searching in godot docs i didnt find any tips for LODs, "streaming" like this as i know, uses lod (level of detail).
    i never read about "lazy loading", O.o i always thinked that this render system was "stream" (texture, whatever, etc)
    idk if it have differences but i'll take alook about this starting from now too.
    anyway thx again ^^

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 474
    edited August 2018 Accepted Answer

Asset streaming is not currently supported in Godot 3.0, but it will be supported in a future release after 3.1.

Answers

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 3,540Admin

I think the effect in the picture is a combination of Mipmaps and Anisotropic filtering. You can find the settings for both in the project settings, under the Rendering -> Quality section. Here's a picture of the settings you'll need to change (mine is slightly different than the default because I'm using low-resolution textures)

• tomarlo4tomarlo4 Posts: 6Member

i'll try this later,but idk if it is what i was trying to say cause, its not a "effect". its a way to save ram just for example:
    4 "blocks" with textures, u go in the center n load the 4 textures, now go next to end blocks and will just render the last 2 blocks textures

it will just load the two firsts blocks but its not a quality setting, but in high quality settings or not it will compress the texture load in for example 90% n will load the other texture and will load again when u return.

but in a unique example: skyrim when u go to a map or house/dungeon the game load the map but textures are blurred and with the HDD/SSD will loading the textures when u go next to a object or already loaded all the place "just a moment"

but anyway, i'll try, IF it wont work, anyway thx n thx for read! lol' xD

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 3,540Admin
    Accepted Answer

@tomarlo4 said:

I read over what you wrote, and now I get what you are saying. You want something like lazy loading, right?

I do not think it's possible in Godot by default. In theory you could make a GDNative plugin that utilizes lazy loading, but I have no idea how hard it would be or if it is even possible at all. Lazy loading would be cool though!

• tomarlo4tomarlo4 Posts: 6Member
    Accepted Answer

humm... searching in godot docs i didnt find any tips for LODs, "streaming" like this as i know, uses lod (level of detail).
    i never read about "lazy loading", O.o i always thinked that this render system was "stream" (texture, whatever, etc)
    idk if it have differences but i'll take alook about this starting from now too.
    anyway thx again ^^

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 474Admin Godot Developer
    edited August 2018 Accepted Answer

Asset streaming is not currently supported in Godot 3.0, but it will be supported in a future release after 3.1.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file