New RPG in Alpha Stages.

newmodelsnewmodels Posts: 158Member

This screen shot is all I want to share about the game. I want to keep it's name secret until later, besides I haven't decided on that yet.

The picture has 60% jpg quality, so it was distorted a little bit.

Comments

• SeaFishelleSeaFishelle Posts: 39Member

Cool start! What kind of RPG are you making? Do you have any docs written up yet? What kinds of assets do you have so far, outside of this dude and his lovely field of grass?

• newmodelsnewmodels Posts: 158Member

So far I have one monster created, but there is not yet a battle system. The character standing on the grass has a walk animation in the four different directions.

I am still learning 2d concept artwork, and have my attention turned towards drawing. I plan on using this project as a way to practice my drawing skills.

The battles are similar to dragon warrior, first person perspective.

As far as the blue guy on the grass, he is a place holder. I haven't designed the main character yet, and I am unsure if this guy is going to show up in the game.

• SeaFishelleSeaFishelle Posts: 39Member

Oh so this is just a practice project? Neato! :3

It's more than a practice project. I plan on finishing this game and releasing it. The project allows me to practice my design and drawing skills.

• keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 235Member

A RPG? Great ! One of my favorite type of games...

A status update. I am currently working on my art skills. What I am learning is manga artwork. I want to use that for the characters in the game. It might be a bit of time before I update the project with any new content.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 3,003Admin
    edited May 2018

Feel free to treat this thread as a micro blog. why not post some of your art skill progress here, too.

polykarbon.com used to have some really good tutorials, but apparently his blog ran into some issues at some point so while the tutorials still exist there, the index page that linked to them all is not yet linked from the blog - it took some google-fu to find the page again:

http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/

Though looking at the URL it was pretty obvious.

This project never went anywhere, because as I had given up on art and games. But now, I am revisiting Godot, 3d modeling and digital painting. I want to make this project. I plan on starting fresh with different design.

As I said, when the forum opens up again I would post a screen shot.
    After I made this character and made them to walk around on the platform, I then started making the project in 3D. I don't yet have a screen shot of it. I am still making the character.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 3,540Admin

Looks good @newmodels!

A new screen shot. After putting a costume, hair, and walking around in temporary game world, I will post a new screen shot.

A new screen shot. After putting a costume, hair, and walking around in temporary game world, I will post a new screen shot.

Yeah, i'll try to put the screen shot in.

I decided to share another screen shot of some progress with the alpha RPG project. I am currently working on costumes, in the design process.

• Ace_DragonAce_Dragon Posts: 323Member

I wish you luck.

Things will get more interesting once there is a solid plan and we start seeing gameplay.

I found out that I know nothing about architectural designs. I am going to invent my own, without studying architectural design. I might also keep the towns small, to save on production time.

• GogetaXGogetaX Posts: 91Member

looks cool as a start..
    but i see a 2d character on top, and here you creating a 3rd one.
    is that means you chaning your game style? or you looking to export the 3d character into a 2D shape?

I've decided to change my design into 3D, and stop with the 2D. > @GogetaX said:

is that means you chaning your game style? or you looking to export the 3d character into a 2D shape?

I might go back to 2D. The reasons! Making the 3D art is taking too long. It's nice being just skilled enough to produce artwork for my own 3D game, but this process taking me too long. I have not even got a prototype running yet. If it was 2D, I would be running around testing out the grind feature already. What do you think? Because of time?

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 3,003Admin

Trick is to create only place-holder art first. Then prototype the gameplay, final artwork can be left for last.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 3,540Admin

Personally, I would go with whatever dimension works best for you and/or you are most comfortable with, especially if you are not under a time constraint.

That said, having done several games in 2D and many in 3D, there is definitely differences in the creation process.

I find that making 3D game assets generally take longer to create than 2D sprites. For 3D models you need to create the 3D model (or edit a reference/base-mesh), UV wrap it, texture it, create an armature and rig it, and then make any animations you might need.

There is a lot more detail you can put into a 3D model than you can fit into a 2D sprite, especially if your 2D sprites are lower resolution. I find animating 3D models easier than making 2D animation, but that might just be me.

2D game assets are faster to make, but depending on the resolution and how detailed/complicated you want to make them, it can take just as long. 2D game assets generally require making a sprite sheet if you want to do animation, or cutting the image up into separate parts for bone based animation. This can make things interesting depending on the art style.

Overall, I think 2D game assets can have a wider variety of really cool art styles, because it is easier to control how things look and move within the game. Also, depending on which perspective you take (like isometric vs. top-down, for example), you can create the illusion of having a third dimension in your games and do some cool things that would be very hard and time consuming to replicate in 3D.

I personally don't have much skill in the 2D arts, so for me even simple sprites can take a long time. Because of this, I generally don't do 2D game assets, as I find I personally like the 3D creation process a little better.

One great advantage with 2D sprites is that it is much easier to refine and tweak the sprites as you go through the development process in comparison to 3D art. With my own game assets, I find I will tweak things here and there as I am actively developing mechanics because it generally only requires moving a few pixels around to get the desired result.

But as I said above, I would go with whatever works best for you and your project.

As @Megalomaniak mentioned, it is highly recommenced to make prototype/placeholder art first so you can work on the gameplay, and then swap out the prototype/placeholder art once you are further in development.

I rarely make prototype art if I am working under a tight time limit (like a game jam), but for longer projects I almost always end up changing the art at least one or twice, generally more for important elements. If you can take the time, it can really help to just make enough art to prototype your gameplay and get that going, so then you can tailor the finished art so it fits with both the visual and gameplay requirements of your game.

I should mention that everything I have written above is based on my own experience! Others may experience things completely differently based on how they do things, what projects they work on, their skills, and so on.

Hopefully this helps a bit :smile:

Not sure if I am going back into 2D yet. I want to share some of my plans for this project, doesn't matter if ti's 3d or 2d. It will have a unique leveling system. I was playing Final Fantasy V on steam, and there was some things I wanted to change about it. I plan on putting this into my project. The changes I am talking about are the battle system. Although it takes lots of time to design, and then render a monster, I think I can have a larger number of them for combat, when doing 2D.

The project has not moved. I might have found a way to increase the speed of producing 3d models. If it works well enough, then the project might start over from the beginning. Not sure yet.