Does OSX require signatures now? What do these mean...

agameraaronagameraaron Posts: 27Member

What's the 'identifier' when I try to export to OSX? It currently says "org.godotengine.macgame". Am I supposed to put something unique? Same questions regarding the 'signature' right below it which says "godotmacgame".

How about UWP? I'll have to use that sometime. It looks even more troublesome to fill out. 2 IDs, a certificate file [?!] and a password? Jeez. No clue what any of that is about.

Tags :

Best Answer

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,709
    Accepted Answer

My hunch is so it can identify your app among other apps on Mac OS. This is likely for updating and/or to allow the end user to have an idea of who made the app. At least, that's how I understand it from when I was doing iOS development.

I did some research, and it looks like its used in information.plist, which is stored with the signed application. Here's a link to a page from Apple on code signing.

As far as UWP, it looks like a certificate file is generated when you submit to Microsoft. There's also some other stuff here that may provide some insight into signing UWP programs.

As far as the Mac OS exports go, I would say yes, you are supposed to put something unique.

Answers

• agameraaronagameraaron Posts: 27Member

Bumpo

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,709Admin
    Accepted Answer

My hunch is so it can identify your app among other apps on Mac OS. This is likely for updating and/or to allow the end user to have an idea of who made the app. At least, that's how I understand it from when I was doing iOS development.

I did some research, and it looks like its used in information.plist, which is stored with the signed application. Here's a link to a page from Apple on code signing.

As far as UWP, it looks like a certificate file is generated when you submit to Microsoft. There's also some other stuff here that may provide some insight into signing UWP programs.

As far as the Mac OS exports go, I would say yes, you are supposed to put something unique.

• agameraaronagameraaron Posts: 27Member

Thanks for the insight. I'm sure I might have more questions down the line like when I release a commercial game, but that's some time away.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file