Etheldia (v1.40)

HippoHippo Posts: 42Member
edited August 10 in Projects

Introducing Etheldia, a free 2D pixel art online turn based fantasy RPG that's played through the browser. Etheldia is an ambitious project that I've been working on for over four years now. The game itself was released in a very basic form on this day three years ago and since then I've been steadily improving it with the help of some friends into the game it is today. While still lacking some polish I wanted to open the game up to more testing and start building a community, which is why I'm posting here today. ^^ Recent updates have seen improved graphics for the beginning areas and a basic story campaign to introduce new players to the game. Short term plans include more animations and mobile support, while long term I'd like to add player guilds and community events, as well as develop stand alone JRPG type titles to compliment the MMO. Etheldia is a magical place, hope to see you there! -Hippo.

Features:
-Basic story campaign, to familiarize new players to the game.
-Large open world to explore.
-Advanced battle and experience system featuring 5v5 combat.
-100+ unique character and enemy subspecies to battle and collect.
-100+ abilities to be learned.
-Class guilds which teach you abilities as you level up.
-Advanced breeding system with inheritance and unique qualities.
-Fusion system
-Updates weekly!

Discord: https://discord.gg/6FsjDAy

GIF

Tags :

Comments

• HippoHippo Posts: 42Member

v1.09 update has been released.

Changes:
    -New area deep, deep underground.
    -New character - Silverbird.
    -Found the source of the phantom party member bug and fixed some other issues caused by it.

Kinda small update this week, been working on some larger features to come.
    See if you can find a Silverbird, only the most intrepid souls will ever venture there.
    Ester event will remain up for one more week, get your chocolate fix before it's too late!

v1.10 has been released.

Changes:
    -Zodiac system!

I've spent the last two weeks creating an original zodiac system for Etheldia.
    Each character has been randomly assigned one of twelve unique to Etheldia zodiac signs.
    Based on movements of planets in a simulated solar system, characters will gain elemental bonuses when planets occupy their signs.
    The signs are as follows:
    Himera - Dragon sign
    Solhana - Sunflower sign
    Kin - Gilded Mirror sign
    Eruma - Elephant sign
    Erinity - Unicorn sign
    Zyx - Rabbit sign
    Gerub - Frog sign
    Silix - Dove sign
    Tithe - Shark sign
    Laplace - Polar Bear sign
    Elveden - Poison Chalice sign
    Tendrashe - Phoenix sign

The planets are as follows:
    Cerinthe - Normal planet
    Eridian - Earth planet
    Minos - Water planet
    Adiri - Air planet
    Zar - Fire planet
    Chloro - Plant planet
    Annaheim - Gold planet
    Kain - Quicksilver planet

The in game effects of this system are probably not particularly noticeable yet, as elemental bonuses are set at 10%.
    This system though will be further expanded upon in future updates, particularly with the addition of breeding which I'll be focusing on next.
    Lastly for this week, the Ester event has now ended.

v1.14 has been released!

Changes:
    -Swords Guild
    -New ability - Fighting Stance
    -Gift and birthright stat effects are now implemented
    -Breeding system tweaks and fixes

The swords guild is now open! Find it in the Fire Tribe.
    With the gift and birthright effects now added I'm going to focus on getting affinity bonuses to work for next weeks update.
    Get in touch if there's something you'd like to see in the game!

That's all for now, keep checking back for more updates! -Hippo

• aztecsenseiaztecsensei Posts: 82Member

its amazing how much work you have done on it,how long did it take you to write the code and make the art,i guess problably years.
    keep it up.

• emo10001emo10001 Posts: 136Member

Nice! Keep grinding. You've done more than 99% of people who start out in indie game development (myself included..so far lol). Looks good.

-emo

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it means a lot! I started working on the project right at the end of 2013 and except for some breaks during travel I've been working on it pretty consistently ever since. It's a massive undertaking to produce any sort of game and especially a combat driven rpg but I feel like I'm getting close to achieving some sort of success. The hard part now is to try and build a small community of dedicated people to play and test the game. I'll keep posting updates here so keep checking back! =)

v1.15 has been released!

Changes:
    -New character - Axolotl image
    -Affinity buffs and debuffs determined by the position of the planets at birth are now supported in battle.
    -Fixed a bug with the Earth Tribe houses.
    -Fixed a breeding oversight where descendends only incremented for parents and not ancestors.

Still working on making breeding system stuff a bit more smooth.
    Thinking of creating some simple battle animations to help with new player retention.
    I've also been looking into supporting co-op gameplay and the ability to form a party with other players and explore.
    This will be a much longer term project as I've never done anything multiplayer related before and a lot of the code will need re-working to support it.
    Ultimately though I have some cool ideas for its implementation and I think being able to adventure with friends will bring a lot to the site!

Looking to create a community on the Etheldia Discord, come along if you want to chat about Etheldia, game development, coding, art, or just life in general.

v1.16 has been released!

Changes:
    -Battle animations!
    -Created a catch and release option for recruiting.
    -Fixed a bug with the Earth Tribe houses.
    -Breeding check to prevent inbreeding.
    -Fixed a bug that allowed teleportation from earth to water kingdom through the castle.
    -Earth tribe can no longer be randomly entered from the side.
    -Increased power of aoe abilities.
    -Caramilk chocolate bunnies can now equip shadow capes.

Big update this week!
    Battle animations will now trigger based on which main type of move you select.
    I'm hoping that steadily improving the visuals of the game will help with enticing and retaining new players.
    Still need to add the enemy animations, and I'm planning on adding some hit and buff effects for the targetted characters.
    The catch and release feature is a feature I've had in mind for a long time and finally got around to making.
    It means players can work on levelling up their taming skills without flooding their storage with bunnies.

Looking to create a community on the Etheldia Discord, come along if you want to chat about Etheldia, game development, coding, art, or just life in general.

• aztecsenseiaztecsensei Posts: 82Member

great work man! remind me of older final fantasy games.
    great stuff.
    B)

v1.17 has been released!

Changes:
    -Updated Blue Wanderer sprite. image
    -Updated Caelum sprite, credit of Rhisis. image
    -Archery and Singing animations, credit of Rhisis.
    -Rabbits and Pink Rabbits can now equip night robe designs, credit of Rhisis.
    -Recruited characters are now properly assigned a zodiac.
    -Recruit abilities should now show up on the exp page post battle.
    -Fixed a bug where the bunny ears item dropped at a really high frequency in the desert.
    -Fixed a bug where battle would crash after recruiting and releasing the final enemy.
    -Fixed a bug with healing not working properly for characters born with gifts.
    -Fixed a bug where the Kasumi Village was unenterable following story mode completion.
    -Hopefully fixed a bug with energy following the defeat of a player character.

Mostly a bug fix update this week.
    Thanks to Rhisis as always for her contributions to the site!
    Been working on some character sprites for a new dungeon that will hopefully use the co-op multiplayer mode I've also begun to develop.
    Ideas and input on what to improve or work on next are always appreciated.

v1.18 has been released!

Changes:
    -Fixed a bug where Overdrive speed and attack raises weren't carrying between battles.
    -Defense buffs now carry between battles.
    -Fixed a bug where you could shift target indicator during attack animations and kick your own party members off the screen.
    -New swamp grass tile, credit of Rhisis.

Small update this week as I've been mostly working on upcoming features and graphics for a new dungeon.

v1.19 has been released!

Changes:
    -Horses!
    -Updated water slime sprite, credit of Rhisis.image
    -Updated sky slime sprite, credit of Rhisis.image

Horses can now be found in the farm area south west of the Earth tribe.
    There's sixteen different horse designs to collect of various rarities.
    Planning on a future feature for human players to be able to mount horses and effectively fuse the two characters.
    Fused characters will have increased base stats and retain the abilities from each character.
    Thanks as always to Rhisis for her continued work on improving Etheldia!

v1.20 has been released!

Changes:
    -HP now displayed as a fraction of maximum player HP.
    -Candlestick and campfire animations, credit of Rhisis.
    -Barn added to farm area.
    -Dialog box and text updated for NPC above the air tribe.
    -Spelling error in Normal Guild fixed.

Spent a lot of time this week working on the fusion system and finished all the backend code and testing for it.
    Should be able to finish the sprites and the front end code within the next couple of weeks.
    Thanks as always to Rhisis for her continued work on improving Etheldia!

v1.21 has been released!

Changes:
    -Goats!
    -Fixed a breeding bug caused by a missing bracket.
    -Increased the success rates for breeding across most tiers.

Still working on the fusion system, knight sprites are all ready to go and barring major disaster it should be up next version.

v1.22 has been released!

Changes:
    -Fusion system!

After several weeks of work the fusion system is finally up! Humans can now mount horses to become knights.

To get a knight, take a human character and a horse to the barn in the farm area east and south of the earth tribe and interact with the stepladder.
    You can mount and dismount as many times as you'd like, swapping horses and riders. I've put some more detailed info on how it works on the about page on the website
    The UI for the fusion system is pretty bad atm even for my standards so I'll work on improving that for the next version.

The pinnacle of what the new system currently allows: image
    Now I've finished the fusion system I'll get back to new animated map avatars and general progress.

That's all for this week, keep checking back for more updates! -Hippo

v1.23 has been released!

Changes:
    -Seagulls now appear in the Water Kingdom at a 10% rate.
    -Fixed a bug where random text would appear in the Spirit Shrine.
    -Fixed the exit location upon leaving the Spirit Shrine.
    -Fixed a bug where the inventory arrows would sometimes remain on screen.

Spent this week redesigning Map16, which is the one to the north of the air tribe.
    It's still a work in progress and some strange things might happen atm if you try to run down the mountain side, but it should be a cool effect when finished.
    Next up maybe post battle UI and visuals? Still procrastinating on animated map avatars...

v1.24 has been released!

Changes:
    -Camels!
    -Sand magic and spells.
    -Fixed a bug where Map16 would just crash the game.
    -Updated post battle page.

Spent most of this week working on the new post battle interface.
    There's still a lot more I want to do with it including animations and a background but it's functional for now, simply click on a card to view the one underneath.
    On a whim I added camels and created sand magic spells that they'll learn upon levelling. Everyone one loves camels right?
    Map16 still needs some work.
    Still procrastinating on animated map avatars...

v1.25 has been released!

Changes:
    -Animated post battle page.
    -Cards can be shuffled through.
    -Updated fire rabbit sprite.

Didn't get a whole lot of time this week but I'm really happy with how the post battle page is coming along.
    You can now use the up and down keys to flick between the characters, and the right key to progress back to the map.
    Still got a bit more to do before I'm finished with the page, and hopefully I'll get that done over the course of the next week.

v1.26 has been released!

Changes:
    -Post battle page background.
    -Post battle page navigation arrows.
    -Fixed the offset caused by levelling up.

Post battle page is now complete! Pretty happy with how it turned out, now I just need to get the rest of the site up to the same standard.
    Working on a new dungeon set in the sky among other things. As always let me know if there's anything you'd like to see development of prioritized.

v1.27 has been released!

Changes:
    -New character Sebright.
    -Updated breeding system to guarantee success after certain number of attempts.

Been super busy over the last month with University and work but hoping to return to decent weekly updates.
    Sebright can now be found across several maps on the west side of Etheldia.
    Nobody likes to be really unlucky, so I added some code so that a pair will automatically produce an offspring after a set amount of attempts have failed.

• kryzmakkryzmak Posts: 103Member
    edited October 2018

I wanted to play your game, but for any reason it did not load. Going to 100 % (which unfortunately takes about 3 minutes with my connection) it just "hangs" at BUILDING WORLD. After 5 minutes of waiting I gave up. Was there a server problem?

Using Firefox ESR version on Linux. I figured out, that I just see a black box without any content. With another browser (Epiphany which uses WebkitGTK+) I see that login screen but the buttons and input fields do not recognize any interaction.

Thanks for trying to test out the game!

I think the loading problems have something to do with browsers not properly recognizing emscriptem. Since the game is made on an old 2.1 version of Godot from 2015 the exporting is a bit outdated. I'm planning to update to version 3 at some point which will hopefully fix those issues.

The input fields not recognizing interaction I think has something to do with the game window losing focus. I've had this bug myself sporadically and have tried to fix it but I can't figure out why it happens. Refreshing the page usually fixes the problem.

v1.28 has been released!

Changes:
    -Created a new treasure chest system so chests can only be looted once per player.
    -New weapon - Swamp Axe.
    -Transparency issue fixed on Sebright sprite.

Treasure chest system will be used with the upcoming dungeon I've been working on.
    For the time being you can explore the swamp to find a treasure chest with the new swamp axe weapon!

v1.30 has been released!

Changes:
    -Updated design for Eke, credit to Rhisis for the really cute sprite!
    -Created a new ability and added it to the daily prizes list.
    -Fixed a bug which caused ability costs to sometimes be quartered.
    -Fixed a bug where one of the daily prize items would glitch.

My laptop is dying slowly making it frustrating and laggy to code and test the game so I'm mostly working on graphics at the moment.
    Still as committed to making Etheldia awesome as ever though, exciting things to come!

There's been five updates since I posted here last, the major addition to the game in which has been a new dungeon leading into the sky. For this version though..

v1.35 has been released!

Changes:
    -Cleaned up map 16.
    -Fixed white chocolate bunny sprite.
    -Pegasus (pegasi?) ability item drops.
    -Shifted position of sky dungeon level tracker.
    -Slightly reduced sky dungeon air dragon levels.
    -Added weapon chest to top floor of sky dungeon.

Lots of little additions this week.
    Originally planned for map 16 above the air tribe to be much more complex but was a bit too ambitious so I've toned it down to clean the level up.
    Thanks to ChimaereJade for providing the grass tile for the updated map!
    More stuff to come!

v1.40 has been released!

Changes:
    -Common Rat
    -Plague Pet Ability
    -Jail map added

The new jail map is located in the centre of Etheldia, underground near the fountain. Inside you'll be able to find the Common Rat.

The Common Rat may occasionally drop dark magic items and will also learn the ability Plague Pet at level 20.
    Plague Pet reduces the cost of casting dark magic by 75%, making the Common Rat a perfect companion for a dark mage character.
    The jail itself will serve as a spawn point for any temporarily banned users in future.

Been a while since the last update, my laptop is old and slow so I've been mainly focusing on graphics for an upcoming offline Etheldia game.
    Not sure when I'll be able to get a new laptop so updates will probably continue to be infrequent over the next few months.
    Thanks for checking by though, I'll do my best to get new stuff up when I can!

• harihari Posts: 11Member

Wow. Amazing development... and seems like an increasingly rich and interesting game.

Thanks hari!

The past week I've been working on and off on a sand shark sprite.

This was pretty challenging to conceptualize as it's a pretty unnatural fusion and I couldn't find much in the way of good references so it took me a few tries to get an outline that I was happy with. I still think it ended up a bit more comedic than I intended but it's good enough to move forward.

If anyone is interested in following this thread as a kind of art dev blog let me know, I'll keep posting more updates like this.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,506Admin

Sure always nice to see progress happening. Also I think interstellar marines had a space shark or something in it? Can google that to see if it gives further ideas, though I think it looks good as is.

This week on the schedule was a white rabbit, a sky rabbit, and to finish off the desert area I started last week.
    The white rabbit went pretty smoothly.
    The sky rabbit took a couple of attempts, and I tried to put a bit more time than usual into the shading. Reasonably pleased with how it turned out.
    Been struggling a bit with palm trees and the desert scene in general, trying to figure out some sort of oasis to have at the center of the map.
    Still needs some work, but it's starting to come together.

@Megalomaniak Thanks for that reference, those are terrifying! I think they definitely would have made the sprite easier to make, but I'm happy enough with how it turned out in the end.