Known problem on MacOS' exported project.

glancedUpglancedUp Posts: 46Member
edited October 2017 in General Chat

Hello again,

I plan to release my game to one of the gaming site. In fact I am planning to sell it.

I want to include Mac OS as one of the platform which the game would be released. However, I don't have a Mac computer for testing, so I figure I just ask here.

Is there any known issue(s) regarding exported project to Mac OS that haven't been solved yet? Since I'm planning to sell the game, having problems running / playing it would surely suck, so I would want to avoid that if I can.

I've actually export the game for Mac OS from my Windows 10 (I develop on Windows 10), and as far as I'm concerned there is no option for exe pack file for Mac OS export. The export result is a zip file containing an .app folder with several more files in it. I've never own a Mac before and am certainly not familiar with running a program on Mac, but I wonder if the files resulted form the Mac export is sufficient to run the game on Mac system. Hence this post.

I hope someone can clarify this for me.

As always, thank you so much in advance. :)

Tags :

Best Answer

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 303
    edited October 2017 Accepted Answer

The harsh reality is that nothing can replace testing your software on all the platforms you wish to support, especially for a commercial product.

Yes, the ZIP archive is enough to run Godot exports on macOS. However:

• ZIP archives aren't the de facto way to distribute software on macOS, which usually consists in distributing a .dmg disk image. .dmg files can only be created from macOS (using hdiutil).
    • It cannot be signed (you need to run macOS at some point to do this). This is a very important step, because recent macOS versions refuse to run unsigned software by default.
    • It cannot be published to the Mac App Store.

Godot strives to work well on all platforms; however, some of the differences between platforms will never go away.

Answers

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 303Admin Godot Developer
    edited October 2017 Accepted Answer

The harsh reality is that nothing can replace testing your software on all the platforms you wish to support, especially for a commercial product.

Yes, the ZIP archive is enough to run Godot exports on macOS. However:

• ZIP archives aren't the de facto way to distribute software on macOS, which usually consists in distributing a .dmg disk image. .dmg files can only be created from macOS (using hdiutil).
    • It cannot be signed (you need to run macOS at some point to do this). This is a very important step, because recent macOS versions refuse to run unsigned software by default.
    • It cannot be published to the Mac App Store.

Godot strives to work well on all platforms; however, some of the differences between platforms will never go away.

• glancedUpglancedUp Posts: 46Member

Hi Calinou,

Big thanks for the clear and concise answers.

Clearly, signed application is paramount if I want to deliver a quality product to Mac users.

I guess I'd just have to choose the best path based on my current delivering capabilities. :)

• MuserMuser Posts: 1Member

Hi Starck,
    Mac user here. You don't need to sign Mac apps. Unless you want to sell on the Mac App Store. Otherwise there is no need for that.

• glancedUpglancedUp Posts: 46Member

@Muser said:
    Hi Starck,
    Mac user here. You don't need to sign Mac apps. Unless you want to sell on the Mac App Store. Otherwise there is no need for that.

Hello Muser , really glad to know that :) .

I'm not planning to sell it on Mac App Store btw.

Still, I don't have a Mac computer to test the game on. I want to test it first to make sure everything is all right. For example: Makes sure the best score shows, etc. So, until I can do that, I figure it's safer to not sell to Mac user yet.

Thanks for the info anyway. Really helps. :)