Godot and blender game engine pbr

VanBandamaVanBandama Posts: 10Member
Hi, I don't know where to put this so I'm posting it here.

Recently I've been toying around PBR in blender game engine. And I have very detail model (Link from skyward sword). I am curious is it possible to export that model to godot so I don't loose much from my detail? 

Last question: How complex games can godot do? In terms of lenght of final game and visual effects (3d). I don't want to compare godot engine's capabilities to cryengine or unreal. More to unity 5 or those on wii u =)

Answers

• Richard KainRichard Kain Posts: 34Member
    I had to look up "PBR" to find out what you were talking about. Physically-Based-Rendering, as it turns out. You are going to be a little limited in terms of the PBR effects you can apply in Godot just from the get-go. PBR is an advanced shading technique. So it is entirely possible to achieve a certain approximation in Godot. But you probably won't be able to just export PBR effects from Blender. And you almost certainly won't be able to emulate them exactly. Godot is a real-time engine, and there are certain effects that you just won't be able to reproduce at real-time. Some of those effects require too much performance to be rendering them 30 times a second minimum.

That said, it should be possible for you to generate custom shaders for Godot that get your Blender models looking fairly close to how they look in Blender. Look into how to write custom shaders for Godot, and figure out how to approximate some of the effects you are describing. That's your best option.

Godot can create fairly complex projects. It has a lot of the basics that you would need to create higher-end graphics, and the performance of the engine is fairly solid. The biggest issue is that it just doesn't come with very many pre-made graphical assets, and high-end graphical assets take quite a bit of time to produce. (or cost a lot for someone else to produce them)
  • quickmind2020quickmind2020 Posts: 27Member
    There are ways to emulate a PBR in the bge. I think it possible to do using the Nodes in your shaders if you copy the methods done in the BGE.
  • MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,506Admin
    edited September 2016
    Yeah realtime PBR is more appropriately called physically based or physically plausible shading. No metropolitan light transport or real spectral rendering or anything like that though. Not yet anyways.

For starters if you can get a Lambertian diffuse/roughness plus Fresnel shading going in godot you are already a long way towards your goals.

For the current/pre-3.0 renderer though you will have to accept cube-mapped reflections, then again fallout 4 uses those too(sky reflection in interior cells on scopes for an example) and they call it a pbr game so...
  • VanBandamaVanBandama Posts: 10Member
    edited September 2016
    So I must do a lot of hard work in blender to make models and node it, Code custom shaders to achieve similar look to wii u games. Ok. Do you know that godot can read C++ code? Or I'm doomed to rely on gdscript? in terms of optimization and smooth run with 60 fps :D
  • Alex-docAlex-doc Posts: 6Member
    I think the main problem with Godot current rendering, is that it looks forward shaded. It still uses GLES2, so you won't be able to have multiple render targets.

This means you might not always have the data you need in your shaders.
  • MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,506Admin
    edited November 2016

@Alex-doc said:
    I think the main problem with Godot current rendering, is that it looks forward shaded.

Forward shading/rendering is actually more flexible to develop shaders with(however it isn't as optimal in render times) than say deferred or inferred rendering so I don't think that's it.

@Alex-doc said:
    It still uses GLES2, so you won't be able to have multiple render targets.

This means you might not always have the data you need in your shaders.

Now this however is a far bigger technical limitation. :)