Please Read! How to use the forum(Categories, Tags, Questions, Discussions, etc).

KioriKiori Posts: 246Member
edited November 2016 in General Chat
**The editor part is currently half-way outdated, given that a new Markdown editor is in place, it will be updated soon.

Questions & Discussion

Every new post on this forum can be either a Question or a Discussion, the difference is obvious, but from a functionality stand point, the question is the one you can mark as answered.
Questions should be used for well... questions, anything that can possible have a solution.
Discussions on the other hand are for when you want to talk about something, like presenting a project, or sharing a tutorial, etc. You are free to decide what to classify you post as, but we recommend that questions be marked as such and discussions be left for everything else. Either way don't mark your threads as [Solved], use the question system if you require that type of interaction, and contact me or any mod if any assistance is needed.
Also, if you end up answering your own question, don't edit the main post. Post the answer in a new comment below your original post/question and mark the comment as the answer.

Hashtags

#instructions
Yep that's right, it's a hashtag, it's in essence a search term that you can include in your posts. When the user clicks it it will search for every post that has the same hashtag, that way everyone can connect, just like in a social network.
Use them lightly and carefully, but they are there for your own expression.
Also, please avoid using the above hashtag, that one is reserved for forum instructions, like this post.

Categories

Categories make the bulk of what the forum is about, each category has it's own generic section of developing with Godot that it relates to.
Please observe all available categories before posting.
Programming for instance deals with subjects that relate to every language, networking, connecting things through code in the editor.
Basically it's the generic category relating to how to do things with Godot, since everything in Godot involves some for of programming. If you want something more specific please visit the 2D or 3D section, which do demand their own categories, or even Shaders.
Resources is a place to post tools, assets and editor themes that you wanna share with the community, be sure to use tags.
Also, in the Home Page, the general categories list, there is a cog beside the category name, there you can mark a category as "read" and also "hide" it. Hiding it means it will not show in your default filter which is "followed categories", you can alternate to "all categories" and unhide it.

Tags

Tags are like subcategories, they are a way for you to specify which content your post actually has, please use all the tags that apply to your discussion in question. If you would like to know which tags can be applied to a certain post click on "show available tags", as explained below.
You have a limit of 10 tags per discussion, but that should be more than enough.
On the General Chat category, be sure to tags your posts as "Off-Topic" if they are.
The "Released" or "W.I.P." tags should only be used for game projects in the Projects category.
The Languages tag is for multi-language support/translations-related questions, and the translation efforts In the the Library category.
The platform tags are important to pinpoint your specific focus.

Posting

Now finally, how do we go about doing all of that elegantly with the new WYSIWYG editor?
Here is the editor:

The category, title, post, draft, preview and cancel are clear on what they do, but about the others:

First, about text styling, as with word editors, to avoid setting and unsetting of each of these options, what i recommend is that you type your text, then later on select the text that you want, and apply the style that you'd like, only to it.
  1. Font styling, here you can set Bold, Italic, and Strike-through.
  2. Here you can set bullets or ordered lists, again its more effective to type then select and apply.
  3. This is a handy tool, here you can set 3 different sizes of fonts, you click on them its set, you click on them again it unsets. You can also set code, quote and spoiler. Code does what you would expect, quote overvalues the text like in regular code(be careful here), and spoiler hides the content until someone clicks on it.
  4. The smiley button holds only a small list of smiley, in order to see all smileys type " : " then type a letter like s, and a list will pop-up with available smileys that relate to that, almost every letter calls new smileys and the + sign calls this one :+1: .
  5. Likes are simple, click there, post the link and apply it to the text.
  6. You can drag n' drop files in the post, browse your file system, or upload your image files to your favorite img host, and copy the "Direct Link" in the img url entry, only the Direct Link will work. After copying it there, click on the post and it will show up as if you had uploaded it.**
  7. Text alignment in all its glory.
  8. Html editing* currently not available or needed since we moved to a markdown editor.

Now about number 9, if you click on 'show available tags', a list of all available tags will pop up for you to choose and apply to your post. Please select the ones that apply, don't abuse it, use it to help categorize your post, that helps interested parties find your discussion, which in turn helps you. You have a maximum of 10, as previously stated.

Hope you guys like the new mechanics.

Happy posting and have fun!

**Only direct links will work with the img url button, the "Add Images" button is a built-in way to upload to Imgur. Gifs will always require a direct link or similar since the forum file uploader shifts it to a static img. Using the "Add Images" button or a standard Imgur link will also preserve the gifs, and giphy has been shown to work(provided a direct link is used).

Comments

• wombatstampedewombatstampede Posts: 175Member

Ok, I can drag'n drop files into the editor. But It fails to post any attachments other than images. At least it won't accept: zip, txt or gdscript files. (at least when I tried)
    Anything bad with txt or *.gd ?

Would be nice to be able to attach scripts or txt at least. Posting as code only works for very small scripts. (9k character limit in posts)

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,654Admin

@wombatstampede said:

Would be nice to be able to attach scripts or txt at least. Posting as code only works for very small scripts. (9k character limit in posts)

While I'm not sure what their limits are, note that embedding exists for github gists and pastebin, just got to add a link-to on it's own line in a post.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,666Admin

I still need to look into why file uploads are not working. I think it may be a Vanilla setting or something server-side changed. I’ll try to take a look soon and see if I can fix it.

@wombatstampede said:
    Anything bad with txt or *.gd ?

Last I knew, both txt and gd files are not working. It might be best to use something like GitHub Gists and/or PasteBin for single files, with something like Google-Drive for zips.

edited October 2019

Okay, turns out it was a missing setting in the Vanilla config file. Now the following file types can be uploaded:

• .txt
    • .gd
    • .tscn
    • .scn
    • .escn
    • .cs
    • .cpp
    • .h
    • .hpp
    • .zip
    • .gz
    • .tar.gz
    • .rar
    • .7zip

Now any of these files should be able to be uploaded. That said, big files ideally should be uploaded to services like Google Drive, PasteBin, GitHubGists, etc, when possible to save server file space. While supposedly there is unlimited space with the server plan, I've heard the server provider gets grumpy if there is many GBs worth of data suddenly appearing. It is not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind when posting big files.

Thanks and sorry for any inconveniences caused!

Thank you! Sounds good!

edited October 2019

Testing 1.2..
    zip: "You can't upload files of this type"
    txt, gd: -"-

(I even logged out and in again.)

B.t.w. I was using drag & drop and alternatively the "Add Images" button.

Another question: Are there forums settings somewhere? I've seen account settings. But I haven't seen any link about Forum Settings (You know, the place where you adjust the time zone, forum theme, sometimes editor type...). No problem if there isn't any but I just wanted to make sure i didn't miss it and would have to adjust something.

Cleared browser cache too?

Worked for me, you weren't trying to drag and drop by chance were you? Thats for images, you should be looking for the new file/paper sheet icon for the attachments.

edited October 2019

You weren't trying to drag and drop by chance were you? That's for images, you should be looking for the new file/paper sheet icon for the attachments. I'll have to check but I think there's also category related permissions that might be blocking some.

@TwistedTwigleg Uploading works, but there's some-kind of permissions issue in regards to attaching uploads to posts in categories.

edited October 2019

OK, yeah, It's per each category, there's a setting under custom permissions to allow or deny file uploads. @TwistedTwigleg there's probably some garden level default category permissions file where it could be enabled for all by default, but I can't find anything for it in the dashboard, only the custom permissions per category.

I'm going to leave them disabled for the forum chat, because we have unconfirmed users able to post here, don't want bots to be able to upload who knows what in here. But will have to double check all the other categories then.

I've enabled them for all the support categories, and I'll leave them off for the rest, since tutorials, resources, projects and such will likely have larger files and/or archives that are likely to be hosted elsewhere anyways and that's probably for the best.

@wombatstampede could you try uploading to the other topic again now?

@Megalomaniak said:
    OK, yeah, It's per each category, there's a setting under custom permissions to allow or deny file uploads. @TwistedTwigleg there's probably some garden level default category permissions file where it could be enabled for all by default, but I can't find anything for it in the dashboard, only the custom permissions per category.

I'm going to leave them disabled for the forum chat, because we have unconfirmed users able to post here, don't want bots to be able to upload who knows what in here. But will have to double check all the other categories then.

I've enabled them for all the support categories, and I'll leave them off for the rest, since tutorials, resources, projects and such will likely have larger files and/or archives that are likely to be hosted elsewhere anyways and that's probably for the best.

I’ll take a look and see if I can figure it out. It is probably something that has to be set directly in the config file.

Thanks for enabling it on the support categories. I agree that for the other categories uploads should be disabled, at least now. There might be a way to limit upload sizes, so if there is then we can set it to something reasonable and then enable uploading for all categories (minus forum-chat, because bots).

@wombatstampede said:
    Testing 1.2..
    zip: "You can't upload files of this type"
    txt, gd: -"-

(I even logged out and in again.)

B.t.w. I was using drag & drop and alternatively the "Add Images" button.

Drag-and-drop will always say there is an issue, but the file should be uploaded if it is compatible. The reason, as far as I can tell, is that the Imgur plugin adds its own drag-and-drop area, which leads to the error. The default Vanilla drag-and-drop area should notice the file and upload it even if the Imgur plugin complains.

The “Add images” button likely won’t work because the button is only for the Imgur plugin. You’ll probably need to hit the file icon on the top of the post editor and select “Choose Files” to use the file browser to upload non-image files.

Another question: Are there forums settings somewhere? I've seen account settings. But I haven't seen any link about Forum Settings (You know, the place where you adjust the time zone, forum theme, sometimes editor type...). No problem if there isn't any but I just wanted to make sure i didn't miss it and would have to adjust something.

There is forum settings, but only staff can access it. Anything specific to individual users should be accessible in the account settings. For better or for worse, Vanilla doesn’t allow users to change much by default. Thanks for asking though!

Thanks!
    I now managed to attach a zip file by (drumroll) using the attach file (icon) button.

@wombatstampede said:
    Thanks!
    I now managed to attach a zip file by (drumroll) using the attach file (icon) button.

Great! I'm glad it is working! :smile:

I've been looking into changing the defaults for categories, so we can label categories we do not want to have uploads rather than labeling all of the categories we want to have uploads. After lots of looking around both the settings files and the source code, I wasn't able to find where the default category permissions are stored.

I made a discussion asking on the Vanilla forums. Hopefully someone there knows how to set the default category settings/permissions.

• ChimaereJadeChimaereJade Posts: 45Member

Hey there, I got the same message for a png (size: 8,68kb, res: 320x176). After the 3. try (import picture, import file, import picture) I ignored the message and in preview it seems to work now. Seems like this message gets even shown when there isn't a real problem.
    Just wanted to mention it for 2020. :)

Right the message is probably rendered to the page no matter what, but a script should be hiding it unless it's relevant. However if the script is slow to or fails to load for some reason, I guess you might see it anyways.