Got myself a new toy for my digital workflow!

BinaryOrangeBinaryOrange Posts: 244Member
edited August 2016 in General Chat
Two nights ago, I made an impulse purchase on Amazon.  :-X <br /><br />The product that I purchased was the relatively new wireless graphics tablet by Huion, to use for my interest in pixel art, and digital painting in general. <br /><br />My eventual goal is to produce game art, which I would probably sell at a very low cost for people to use. I'm specifically thinking about doing tilesets, since I enjoy designing them so much!<br /><br />I'm using Aseprite and Pyxel Edit mostly, although I really prefer Aseprite as it doesn't crash nearly as much as Pyxel Edit, and doesn't require Adobe Air to run. <br /><br />So far, I've been using the tablet for a few hours and it performs amazingly well, much better than the Wacom Bamboo I was using.  :P <br /><br />I don't have any art to showcase yet but I will be keeping track of it on my blog. <br /><br />Does anyone else here use a tablet for their digital artwork? I'm really impressed with this tablet so far, and for only $160 it's well worth the investment!<br /><br />

Tags :

Comments

• RossRoss Posts: 199Member
    $160 impulses . . . yikes :P In what way does it work better than the Bamboo? How is the response time, is there any lag, or can you make quick, repeated strokes without losing any?
  • BinaryOrangeBinaryOrange Posts: 244Member
    on 1464125933:
    <br />$160 impulses . . . yikes :P In what way does it work better than the Bamboo? How is the response time, is there any lag, or can you make quick, repeated strokes without losing any?<br />
    <br /><br />Yes, I don't usually splurge more than $50 on myself but this was just too nice to pass up!<br /><br />I seem to be having some issues with the wireless functionality, so I do have it plugged in at the moment. Otherwise, it performs better than my old Bamboo because the drivers are actually up-to-date and work well. For some reason it seems Wacom had discontinued the Bamboo product line, and thus also the driver support. <br /><br />It also has 2048 levels of pressure, whereas the Bamboo only sported 1024. <br /><br />Since I do mostly pixel art at the moment you can't really tell, but lines are very smooth when I draw them, and the response time is solid. So far, the only issues I've had have been with the wireless receiver. It works 90% of the time, and I have yet to figure out why the other 10% of the time it doesn't. I think it has something to do with the settings.
  • RossRoss Posts: 199Member
    Cool. Hah, yeah, Wacom's drivers are notorious. <br /><br />They swapped around names a bit a few years ago. The new "bamboo" they're calling the intuos, and the intuos became the intuos pro. I never had issues with my own Bamboo drivers being out of date myself, in fact it was always risky to update. :P But if the Huion is more reliable that's pretty awesome.
  • MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,507Admin
    yeah, some years ago I made a "impulse" tablet purchase too... the 12" cintiq was on sale for €800 since it became EOL product - it's just sitting in a box and my old Graphire 4 classic is still in use since my desk is too little to fit it on there together with all the monitors, keyboard, mouse and other usb gadgets. :'(<br /><br />(I guess this is meant to be a warning to others: Don't buy something expensive unless you're sure it's going to be used too! It sure is shiny though...)<br /><br />Good news is I bough the material to build a new desk, just need to get around to finishing it too. :p<br /><br />The idea of a wireless tablet is certainly an interesting one though. Hope you get it working 100% of the time and report back. :)<br /><br />edit: one quick extra thought: is it 'failing' as a wireless tablet when the battery is low-ish?
    on 1464226552:
    <br />yeah, some years ago I made a "impulse" tablet purchase too... the 12" cintiq was on sale for €800 since it became EOL product - it's just sitting in a box and my old Graphire 4 classic is still in use since my desk is too little to fit it on there together with all the monitors, keyboard, mouse and other usb gadgets. :'( <br />
    <br /><br />Yes, I am finding a need to get a bigger, non-glass-top desk soon. This tablet takes up a good 15 inches across, and the desk is only two and a half feet wide, so yeah, need to get me a bigger desk...  :P <br /><br />As for it failing, it's very sporadic, and it can't be the battery as I keep it plugged in at all time for the moment. I googled the issue and it seems to be something with Windows 10 and pen tablets in general, so I'm waiting for Huion to release a driver update. I'm sure if dug around enough I would get it working but I just haven't felt the itch to spend the day on it.  :P <br /><br />Oh, and here's a not-perfect tileset I made today with Aseprite and the tablet. Shadows and highlights need work, but hey, this was only a test!<br /><br />CjWS6iFUgAATqP4.jpg:large<br />I will be posting updates on my blog (link in my profile), as well as on my twitter feed.
    another thing to perhaps consider is where you plugged the wireless usb dongle, might there be some interference/signal-shielding? Perhaps the PC is interfering with the signal if it's plugged to the back of the PC, or so...
    Something could definitely be interfering with the signal. I tried a few different USB ports to no avail. I wonder if my WiFi router (it's ancient) might have something to do with it, perhaps I should try disabling it temporarily.
    unless it's directly in the middle of the tablet and the receiver, I doubt it however not impossible I suppose.
  • alexaualexau Posts: 4Member
    Im sure there will be a couple, from the two new Toy Story shorts that will be before Cars 2 and the Muppets.
    on 1465592963:
    <br />Im sure there will be a couple, from the two new Toy Story shorts that will be before Cars 2 and the Muppets.<br />
    <br /><br />I'm sorry, I can't seem to wrap my head around this. What is it exactly you're trying to say? I'm not animating or even drawing anything even closely related to Disney/Pixar IP... :P
  • KioriKiori Posts: 246Member
    Welcome to the wonderful world of art, join in on the fun!<br /><br /> /><br />Videos 5-8 are about pixel art.<br /><br />Krita is OSS btw.
    on 1466028799:
    <br />Welcome to the wonderful world of art, join in on the fun!<br /><br />https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrmvsnDiAuc&list=PLhqJJNjsQ7KE3FLHIE31UgmLdcqsZfXTw<br /><br />Videos 5-8 are about pixel art.<br /><br />Krita is OSS btw.<br />
    <br /><br />Oh my gosh, Krita looks AMAZING. It looks like exactly what I was hoping to use to eventually move to hand-drawn 3D textures... perhaps I can do that a lot sooner than I originally anticipated!
  • KioriKiori Posts: 246Member
    Krita offers everything, from pixel, to digital, with effects, to seamless texture creation.<br />It's all setup for a lot of case scenarios and it keeps getting better every year.<br />Visit their website and watch out for kickstater campaigns where you can even voice what future features you want the most.