New to pretty much everything and would love some help :)

bengerman777bengerman777 Posts: 4Member
edited August 2016 in General Chat
Hello everyone!<br /><br />I'm just coming into trying to make my first game. I've seen many videos and know I should have an understanding of coding and the engine itself. Godot supports lots of information and I'm sure I can figure it out on my own but the things I don't are coding, Graphics design, and a little bit of music for my game. <br /><br />Now I'm not planning on making a huge game like any type of 3D game or a super long 2D game with out of the world mechanics. I know I have to start small and gradually make better and better games the more I learn and fail or succeed I will get the hang of things. Pretty much I'm not impatient or just want to make a game for money. I want to make awesome games that I want to play and share with everyone. <br /><br />My idea right now that I think would be fairly easy for me is making a 8-bit video game similar to NES games. I want to make it a co-op game up to 2 players. The only thing that kinda kills me is where I can make pixel art exactly like the NES and how to Code. The music I have a little bit of understanding. I ordered a cheap 2010 macbook (never used a macbook before) just for garageband and also bought a AKAI MPK mini version 2 with this awesome plugin to make 8-bit type of music called miniBit. I just don't know how to implement my music to the engine and when to queue in music I make when a player dies or passes a level and what not. <br /><br />So I would appreciate any advise given to me or any tips on how to code in Godot, Where to make 8-bit graphics that can easily be ported to Godot, and how to implement my music to Godot. Any book recommendations, YouTube videos or anything that can help me get started would be sweet. I'll still be looking around the internet for help to see if i can figure it out myself but for now I got to rest. Been watching tons of videos and reading lots of Godot Tutorials and have tired my eyes haha. So hopefully those who know their way around this and have been through what I am going through can help me out D<br /><br />Hope I can make my first game on the Godot engine I am really digging how simple your engine is Thank you guys

Comments

• BinaryOrangeBinaryOrange Posts: 244Member
    Welcome!<br /><br />Godot is actually quite easy, once you get the grasp of it. <br /><br />I highly recommend the GameFromScratch tutorials, as they cover a lot of the basics pretty in-depth. You mentioned music specifically, this tutorial covers how to play music in Godot.<br /><br />Also, if you look in the "Tutorials" board on this forum, you will find quite a few topics with even more resources. All are excellent and should help you out a lot!<br /><br />As for making 8-bit style graphics, I recommend just using something like GIMP, or even MS Paint, although it would be harder to make tileable sprites. Check out lots of older games for inspiration, and remember - the detail is all in the shading!  8)
  • bengerman777bengerman777 Posts: 4Member
    on 1462939141:
    <br />Welcome!<br /><br />Godot is actually quite easy, once you get the grasp of it. <br /><br />I highly recommend the GameFromScratch tutorials, as they cover a lot of the basics pretty in-depth. You mentioned music specifically, this tutorial covers how to play music in Godot.<br /><br />Also, if you look in the "Tutorials" board on this forum, you will find quite a few topics with even more resources. All are excellent and should help you out a lot!<br /><br />As for making 8-bit style graphics, I recommend just using something like GIMP, or even MS Paint, although it would be harder to make tileable sprites. Check out lots of older games for inspiration, and remember - the detail is all in the shading!  8)<br />
    <br /><br />Sweet! Yeah I've been checking out the tutorials and also lots of Youtube videos. I will keep diggin here on the forums whenever I run into trouble or if I have any sort of question. Very pleased to see I got a quick response makes Godot even better! Thanks a bunch!
  • MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,507Admin
    hear, hear! What BinaryOragne said. I would however also add that don't yet worry about bringing everything together into a final game, just compartmentalize things into specific bite-sized exercises and learn a step at a time, building demos of specific solutions to specific 'issues' that you can come back to look at if you feel like you've forgotten something.<br /><br />Only once you feel more at ease with Godot and your understanding of it might you want to start bringing the logic behind the demos you have developed together into one common project(I would suggest starting a WIP thread in the appropriate forum once you are getting to that point). It will take some time though.<br /><br />As you essentially said yourself you won't be making a full blown game tomorrow, just take your time and move at a pace that works for you. Good luck and have fun. :)
  • bengerman777bengerman777 Posts: 4Member
    on 1462959633:
    <br />hear, hear! What BinaryOragne said. I would however also add that don't yet worry about bringing everything together into a final game, just compartmentalize things into specific bite-sized exercises and learn a step at a time, building demos of specific solutions to specific 'issues' that you can come back to look at if you feel like you've forgotten something.<br /><br />Only once you feel more at ease with Godot and your understanding of it might you want to start bringing the logic behind the demos you have developed together into one common project(I would suggest starting a WIP thread in the appropriate forum once you are getting to that point). It will take some time though.<br /><br />As you essentially said yourself you won't be making a full blown game tomorrow, just take your time and move at a pace that works for you. Good luck and have fun. :)<br />
    <br /><br />Thanks for the tip! I will definitely do that since I know polishing a game comes last and not have to polish every single thing and stress about the next :) Really appreciate the help!
  • GokudomaticGokudomatic Posts: 70Member
    One approache is to list each kind of functionality you need in your dream game and try to implement each of them separately. Make a new project for each stuff. That allows you to avoid spagetti code and to pinpoint easily a problem.<br />And then, you can mix everything together.